Friday, July 22

Check Out This Spider!



I just ran outside for a minute to see if this plant was Queen Ann's Lace or yarrow and sitting atop it was this white and red spider. I've never seen anything like it before and initial internet searches aren't turning up anything.

It was hard to get a good picture of it because the breeze kept blowing the flower around (and I'm using a 6-year-old point-and-shoot and I'm not a photographer to begin with) but I think I got a few decent ones. When the wind blew it did this crazy thing with its front legs like it was having trouble holding on.

EDIT, two minutes later: It looks like it's called a goldenrod crab spider and can actually change colors from white to yellow and back. They do exactly what you're probably thinking: lay in wait on a similarly colored flower and then ambush unsuspecting prey. They will also imitate flowers. There were actually other bugs around and I was waiting for/hoping to see it lunge at one of them, but no such luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment