Sunday, August 14

Bountiful blueberries?

Not really. Not on Tuesday at least. When we went to the UP a few weeks ago, in the beginning of August, I think the berries were about a week out of prime—but the beautiful thing was that you could find them pretty much anywhere. Two years in a row we've went down a random two-track in the UP and came home with a decent supply of blueberries.

We get them in the lower peninsula too, but they don't seem to be as prolific. Brambles tend to be the most common berries around here.

 

I did know of a spot that had them though, and I really wanted to check it out. I tried for about a week to get someone to go with me, but nobody seemed interested. Finally my friend Cayla and I headed out to get some, but unfortunately it looks like we missed the peak.


We were surrounded by blueberry bushes on all sides but most of them didn't have any berries. I think we missed the opportunity to gather them in abundance by a week, week and a half. Oh well. Next year I'll try to hit that sport around the first days of August.

It was still good, as always, to be out for a good walk and away from the places people usually frequent.

A neat little white pine with bright, bright green needles. I've never seen any quite like this.
We didn't want to go home (nearly) empty handed, so I brought us to one of many blackberry spots. Different areas and even different bushes always seem to be at different stages; we found at least some blackberries and then called it a day. I'll be getting more in the near future.

These particular bushes are ones I hope to revisit when the berries ripen! LOADED.

No comments:

Post a Comment